Following the tragic Astroworld Festival incident in Houston that saw people killed during a crowd surge; the tragedy’s death toll has since risen to 10, with the death of a 9-year-old boy.
The 9-year-old boy, as a result of his injuries from the crowd surge, was put into a medical coma to save his life after suffering brain, kidney, and liver trauma.
Astroworld death count rises
The Travis Scott Astroworld Music Festival saw 8 people killed initially, and the death toll has now risen to 10; with the latest casualty being 9-year-old Ezra Blount.
Ezra was on his father’s shoulders when the crowd started crushing together, resulting in the older Blount passing out and Ezra falling; the boy then suffered brain, kidney, and liver trauma from the crush and was eventually put into a medical coma in an effort to save his life.
The boy’s parents then sought the services of Benjamin Crump, a high-profile lawyer; alongside Alex Hilliard, Bob Hilliard, and Paul Grinke to file a lawsuit alleging failure on the organizers’ part to control the crowd during rapper Travis Scott‘s 2-day show.
Crump released a statement on Sunday announcing the young boy’s passing, saying that he had sustained life-threatening injuries and was placed in a medically induced coma on life support to save his life.
The statement added that this should not have been the outcome of (the parents) taking their son to a concert in what should have been a joyful celebration.
It further adds that Ezra’s death is absolutely heartbreaking and that they (Crump’s team) are committed to seeking justice as well as answers for the Blount family but for the moment, they stand in solidarity with the family in grief and prayer.
Houston fire chief blames Travis Scott
Troy Finner, the chief of the Houston Fire Department, laid some of the blame on Scott’s shoulders, saying that the Hip-Hop superstar should have tried to stop the show before the massive crowd surge.
Speaking to Savannah Guthrie on TODAY, Finner said that “the artist has command of that crowd” and that “if he notices something that’s going on, he can certainly pause the performance and not continue until the thing was resolved”.
However, he stopped short of claiming that Travis Scott was fully aware of what was going on.
Travis Scott offering to pay for all funerals
Travis Scott posted an update on his Instagram a day after the tragedy, highlighting how “devastated” he was by what had taken place, saying that he “could never imagine anything like this just happening.”
He reiterated how his fans “mean the world” to him and that he always just really want to leave them with a positive experience.
Travis Scott said last Monday that he would be providing refunds to the festivalgoers as well as offering to pay for all the funerals for the deceased, his performance at the Las Vegas festival was also canceled.
The other nine fallen concertgoers who perished from that night were aged between 14 to 27. The 9th casualty was 22-year-old college student Bharti Shahani, who succumbed to her injuries after being placed on a ventilator; she had been in critical condition.